Saturday, June 29, 2013

Golden Sisters NOT as good as Golden Girls

So, I started watching the Golden Sisters' show... They are sort of cute goofy old ladies but I think the comparison some are making to "reality TV's Golden Girls" is lofty to say the least. Now maybe that is because I am a dyed-in-the-wool serious Golden Girls Junkie but other than their relative age, and wild scenarios I see no comparisons. I realize for the time my girls were quite scandalous but these new broads just seem like fowl-mouthed crazy old ladies. Don't get me wrong, I hope to have my fair share of fun when I get old, and god knows I love to drop F bombs right and left but all their bickering and bleeping just gets on my nerves. I grew up watching Golden Girls religiously. When asked in a "Sweet Six" competition (small town annual pageant for 6 y/o girls) what my favorite television show was I answered honestly that Golden Girls was my favorite. I am pretty sure they thought I was lying and that single-handedly lost me the competition.  But that isn't important... What is, is how awesome Blanche, Dorothy, Sophia, and Rose really are. They tackled serious issues with humor, whit, and grace and waaay before their time. Namely homosexuality, artificial insemination, teen pregnancy, and sexuality as a senior citizen. I was trying to decide who is my favorite Golden Girl and I realized that is what made the show so great, I love all of them equally. I feel like it's being told to pick your favorite child, just impossible to choose because they all have such great, lovable, hilarious personalities.  Between "Picture it Sicily...." St. Olaf stories, Dorothy's quick whit, and Blanche's stories of the loss of innocence under magnolia trees it is my favorite show of all time. With Designing women in a close 2nd of course. ;-) Bless those Golden Girls and congratulations to Betty White for continuing to be one bad ass lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment