Thursday, July 11, 2013

Trayvon Martin

I will never be suspicious like Trayvon Martin. Let me say that again. I will NEVER be suspicious like Trayvon. Period. Regardless of who threw the first punch, Zimmerman believed Trayvon to be a criminal by looking at him. I could put on all black sweats, tuck my hair back, put on a flat billed hat and pull my hood up over my face as I walk through my neighborhood. No one is going to call the police. No one is going to try and flag me down. No one will reach over and lock their car door. No one is going to fear me. And no one is going to shoot and kill me because they are afraid of me. I am a 5'0", White, Woman. I don't strike fear in the heart of anyone, no one would describe me as sketchy or menacing. So what does that say about our world? In our world no matter how I am dressed I am taught to be afraid to walk alone at any time of day, and at night, forget about it. We are taught that our neighbors are killers, around every corner a mugger, behind every dumpster a rapist. In this case there are no winners. I put myself in Trayvon's position and having lived literally across the lake from where he was shot, I feel I do have a unique ability compared to many other American's to do so. If I had been walking through that neighborhood and any adult man or woman of any color, age or size tried to stop me, I would have been afraid. If they came near me I would not have hesitated to become violent. I would have thrown the first punch, kick, scratch, bite. No question. Zimmerman was not on his property, and he did not identify himself as neighborhood watch. He acted as a vigilante, the Police had told him to stand down and not pursue Trayvon. Yes, he fought back, possibly was even the first to get physical but I bet any one of you would do the same. Zimmerman was a stranger. In a world where we are taught strangers are no longer kind generous, concerned brother's and sister's but robbers, rapists, and killers, why would he not be afraid? Don't tell me he shouldn't be afraid being a physically fit young man. I knew strong, fit, teenagers just like that who were jumped in our neighborhood with a startling frequency. And Zimmerman is no waif, and I am tired of hearing how Trayvon had such a physical advantage. Zimmerman's size is still intimidating enough. And size aside, how was he supposed to know he wasn't some loon with a loaded gun...? oh wait... he was. When I lived in the apartments across the lake we had all too many burglaries and thefts, in fact it was a huge problem at the time we lived there. But we never shot anyone. Things might have been very different had Zimmerman said, "Hey kid, stop, I am with neighborhood watch can I talk to you?" That is not what he did, and even then if I were in Trayvon's shoes I would have kept on walking or even RAN away. Unless I see a badge, I don't know you from Ted Bundy. Sorry you are literally just another civilian, same as me, I have no obligation to obey you. The facts are George Zimmerman instigated the conflict, someone threw a punch and they want to say Zimmerman was in fear for his life, I don't know what I would have done, I would wonder what would have happened had he just threatened to shoot, I wonder what would have happened had he stayed in his truck, had he said he was neighborhood watch, there are a lot of variables but the bottom line is a human life was taken. It could have been avoided. I don't know that Zimmerman deserves a first degree murder sentence because I believe things quickly got out of hand but I can tell you he needs to be punished. He needs to understand that he made a decision that resulted in the loss of a human life. I think that requires a conviction and jail time. I am not saying a life sentence but he needs to pay for what may be a mistake, but it was a grave one. Unless I see someone committing a crime, I am not going to interject myself. Unless someone deliberately is breaking into my home I am not going to take their life. Period. Unless unprovoked someone attacks me or another person, I am not a law enforcement officer, I am not going to physically or verbally accost them. It is such a sad series of events but right or wrong Trayvon paid with his life, and had Zimmerman done what the police instructed, Trayvon would probably be alive and Zimmerman wouldn't be in this mess. But I guess I really don't have to worry. Because the sad truth is after all, I will never look suspicious like Trayvon.

No comments:

Post a Comment